Vegetable stock and gravy
Infant’s vegetable stock
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 large onions, sliced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 turnip, peeled and chopped
10 black peppercorns
1 bulb of garlic
1 bay leaf
- Put all the vegetables and the garlic cloves large saucepan along with the peppercorns and herbs.
- Cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for one hour.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain before use.
Infant’s vegetarian gravy
12 fl oz vegetable stock
12 fl oz water
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 medium carrot, diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 cup of red lentils, rinsed
pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil on a medium heat in a pan and saute the chopped onion, carrot and sweet potato until they begin to soften.
- Add the lentils, and seasonings.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and half the water.
- Simmer gently, covered for 30 minutes, checking frequently and adding more water if the mixture seems too dry.
- When the lentils are cooked, transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth, thinning with as much water as necessary.