Training and Education
Cornwall Healthy Weight has a full education training package to raise awareness for both health and social care professionals and members of the public to ensure that consistent messages regarding healthy weight are conveyed. Physical activity and healthy eating interventions run alongside the healthy weight offer to ensure adequate balance.
Eating well for under fives (EYFS33)
Aim: To give settings knowledge and support in order to provide and promote healthy foods for under 5s in their care.
- The importance for children to eat well
- The nutritional needs of children under 5
- How to plan well balanced menus for children under 5
- How to effectively use food labels to identify suitable healthier options
- How to develop ideas to encourage staff, parents and children to eat well
- How to plan food policies to ensure healthy eating is embedded in practice.
Dates & Venues: TBC
Family Focussed Approach to Obesity (FFAO) - Currently Unavailable
Aim: A one day free introduction to childhood obesity which aims to increase professional’s skill levels around this issue. The course will cover diagnosis, causes, implications, bringing up the topic of weight with individuals and parents, and appropriate goal setting and monitoring.
- Identifying childhood and adult obesity – using BMI (practical use of charts) & other measures
- Causes and consequences of obesity
- Raising the ‘issue’
- Treatment strategies and current evidence base
- Goal setting and monitoring
- Working in partnership
Target Group: This training course is currently only available to NHS staff, it is particularly relevant for school nursing teams, health visiting teams, GPs, practice nurses and community nurses.
Dates and Venues: TBC
Booking Details: Please contact Skills.Development@cornwall.nhs.uk to book a place on the above course.
Pre-course reading and handouts (please print and bring along to the training)
Aim: To ensure volunteer walk leaders are feel well equipped to lead walking groups throughout Cornwall
- Practicalities of leading a health walk
- The benefits of walking
- Route planning
- How to lead walkers with special requirements
Brief description: Cornwall Healthy Weight works closely with Walking for Health to support our walking groups throughout Cornwall. Volunteer walk leaders make Walking for Health possible. The time, passion and dedication that they commit to leading our walks are invaluable. Our half a day training course will help volunteers to feel confident leading a health walk around Cornwall. CLICK HERE for more information on Walking for Health.
Target group: Anyone above the age of 18 who has a keen interest in walking and wants to volunteer as a walk leader
Dates and Venue:
Booking Details: If you would like to book onto the Volunteer Walk Leader Training please click here for our training booking form on the Health Promotion website
Level 2 Award in Encouraging a Healthy Weight and Healthy Eating
Aim: To provide knowledge, skills and resources to help others develop a healthy lifestyle, by encouraging people to eat healthily and maintain a healthy weight.
- To understand factors that result in people being under or over a healthy weight
- To understand the consequences of being under or over a healthy weight
- TO understand the principle of healthy eating
- To know how to provide help and support to an individual wanting to eat healthily and maintain a healthy weight
Brief Description: This qualification is for individuals with an interest in health who are also interested in helping others develop a healthier lifestyle by encouraging people to eat healthily and attain / maintain a healthy weight. Learners will increase their knowledge and understanding of why individuals may not be at a healthy weight, the effect on health of this, the principles of healthy eating and how individuals can be helped and supported to achieve a healthy weight and eat healthily. This qualification is assessed by a workbook completed throughout the day.
Target Group: Suitable for anyone wanting to increase knowledge in how to help other develop a healthier lifestyle.
Dates and Venues: TBC
Cost: £50 (as of April 2015)
Booking Details: If you would like to book onto the Level 2 Award in Encouraging a Healthy Weight and Healthy Eating please click here for our training booking form on the Health Promotion website
Level 2 Award in Encouraging Physical Activity
Aim: To provide knowledge and understanding of why individuals may not actively participate in physical activity, the health benefits of physical activity and how individuals can be helped and supported to improve their health by increasing their level of physical activity. Learning at this level involves building basic knowledge and skills, a level 2 award is equivalent to GCSE
- To understand the health benefits of physical activity
- To understand factors that affect an individual’s participation in physical activity
- To know how to encourage individuals to increase their level of physical activity
Brief Description: This RSPH accredited qualification is a 1 day course with theory and practical elements. Theory will cover current physical activity recommendations across the life stages, the physical and mental health benefits physical activity can have on a person. The practical element involves ways to promote and encourage physical activity, please where comfortable clothes and suitable footwear. Lunch is not provided.
Target group: This qualification is for individuals with an interest in health who are also interested in helping others develop a healthier lifestyle by encouraging physical activity.
Dates and Venues: TBC
Booking details: If you would like to book onto the Level 2 Award in Encouraging Physical Activity please click here for our training booking form on the Health Promotion website