Iron rich salads
These recipes have been designed as a resource for care settings who care for children aged 1-4 years. Please note, each recipe makes 12 child size portions.
Green bean salad with tomatoes (12 child-size portions)
200g small button mushrooms, sliced
200g green beans, trimmed
Juice from 1 lemon
100g cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 tbsp olive oil
75g cheese, cut into small cubes
- In a bowl, toss mushrooms with half the lemon juice and set aside (the lemon juice will soften the mushrooms
- Blanch the beans in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and cool with iced water.
- Toss the beans and mushrooms together in a bowl.
- Toss through the tomatoes, remaining lemon juice and olive oil and sprinkle with cheese.
Butter bean and tomato salad (12 child-size portions)
210g can butter beans
250g cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 small courgette, chopped into small dice
1 spring onion, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground cumin
- Tip all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
Green pea goodness (12 child-size portions)
125g bulgar wheat
150g frozen broad beans
150g mange-tout or sugar-snap peas
150g frozen peas
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ lime juiced
Freshly chopped parsley
Freshly chopped mint
- Pour the bulgar wheat into a bowl and cover with water. Place in the fridge for about an hour until tender and saturated.
- Place the broad beans in a saucepan and boil for 5 minutes, add the mange tout and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain and cool in icy water. Drain again and refrigerate.
- Drain the bulgar wheat, add the peas and beans, olive oil, lime juice and chopped herbs. Mix together and season with black pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for about an hour and serve before serving.
(40g portion size)