Cheesy bean burgers
350g baby leaf spinach
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 leeks, thinly sliced
410g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
50g dried white breadcrumbs
4 tbsp semi-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
75g mature Cheddar
1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- Put the spinach in a colander and pour over a kettleful of boiling water to wilt.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the leeks for 5 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, mash the cannellini beans with a fork.
- Squeeze the spinach to get rid of the excess moisture, then roughly chop and add to the squashed beans with the breadcrumbs, semi-dried tomatoes, Cheddar, egg and cooked leeks.
- Shape the mixture into 8 even-size cakes and chill for 15 minutes to firm. Meanwhile preheat the grill to medium/high heat.
- Grill the burgers for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown
Tip: Delicious served with a mixed salad, corn on the cob and homemade coleslaw.Create printer friendly PDF