Better than Baked Beans
1 celery stalk
1 clove garlic
400g carton chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
Pinch soft light brown sugar, optional
Fresh rosemary stalk or a pinch of ground sweet paprika
400g tinned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
400g tinned butter beans, drained and rinsed
- Peel and finely chop the onion, carrots, celery and garlic – they don't have to be too fine if you are going to blend the sauce later.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan, add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook gently for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and rosemary or paprika. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- You have the choice to leave the sauce 'chunky' with bits of carrot, celery and onion or you can give the sauce a quick whizz with a handheld blender (or food processor) until smooth.
- Add the beans to the sauce and cook for another 10 minutes until heated through.
- Serve with jacket potatoes and steamed green vegetables.
Tip: For little ones you can squash the beans and mix with mashed potato or baby rice.Create printer friendly PDF