Easy lamb tagine
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 carrots, finely chopped
500g diced leg of lamb
2 fat cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp saffron strands
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp clear honey*
100g soft dried apricots, quartered
1 low-salt vegetable stock cube
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1cm dice
steamed couscous or rice, to serve
chopped parsley and toasted pine nuts, to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan and add the onion and carrot. Cook for 3- 4 minutes until softened.
- Add the diced lamb and brown all over. Stir in the garlic and all the spices and cook for a few minutes more or until the aromas are released.
- Add the honey* and apricots, crumble in the stock cube and pour over roughly 500ml boiling water or enough to cover the meat. Give it a good stir and bring to the boil.
- Turn down to a simmer, put the lid on and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes, then stir in the squash.
- Cook for 20 – 30 minutes more until the squash is soft and the lamb is tender.
Serve alongside rice or couscous and sprinkle with parsley and pine nuts, if using.Create printer friendly PDF