Chicken and vegetable casserole
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots, finely chopped
2 medium sticks celery, finely chopped
500g approx chicken thighs
2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 reduced salt chicken stock cube
1 red or orange pepper, diced
1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook gently until softened.
- Add the chicken thighs, garlic, spices and thyme. Cook stirring until the chicken is light brown..
- Pour in the tomatoes, plus one extra can of water or enough to cover the chicken and vegetables. Add the stock cube and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 50 mins.
- If using, add the chickpeas and cook for a further five mins.
- For young children, break the chicken into smaller pieces and serve.
Serve this delicious dish with boiled rice or potatoes.Create printer friendly PDF