Beef and Butternut Squash Stew
1 tbsp olive oil
500g beef braising steak, cut into strips
2 tbsp plain flour
2 onions, roughly chopped
About 700g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm cubes
30g fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
500ml very low-salt beef stock
2 x 410g tins kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
150g dried apricots, cut into strips
- Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish over a high heat.
- Place the beef in a bowl and then coat with the flour.
- Fry the beef with the onions for about 5 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Add the butternut squash cubes and grated ginger and continue to fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, kidney beans and apricots and simmer for 20 minutes until the meat and squash are tender.
Tip: Serve half the amount. Allow the remaining portion to cool completely before freezing in suitable containers or freezer bags. To eat, remove from the freezer, defrost thoroughly in the fridge and reheat until piping hot.Create printer friendly PDF